Sunday, May 2, 2010

Moravia

Moravia is the region that borders Poland to the north and Slovakia to the south. Moravia is a great place to explore. Moravia is covered with forests, lakes and is speckled with small towns and picturesque red-roofed villages. The three main cities in Moravia are Brno, Ostrava and Olomouc. Its traditional capital is Brno.

Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic with 300 000 people. Ostrava is industrial and of the three not my most favorite. Ostrava is usually referred to as the “Pittsburgh of Czech”. Not the most flattering of titles on the best days, but the city is dominated by factories and smelting equipment. So the description is not far from the hay day of that famed Penn town.

I have only been to Olomouc (Olmy) a few times, but I think that it is most like where I am from. I could never tell to my friend that brought me there. It is impossible to explain that Olmy is bigger than my hometown and the next two bigger towns put together. I did not grow up in a village. Auburndale is just a small town. Talking about Olmy with her always reminds me of the song by “The Boss”, “living and dying in the same small town … just like me.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment