Sunday, May 2, 2010

Brno

The first time I arrived in Brno, I was lost. My arrival was delayed at the Prague airport, the train station, the bus station and at almost every step of the way. If I am honest, then I can not say I could even read the road signs. Heck, I could not even find a road sign. They are red with white lettering, but usually do not say street, avenue, court or even alley. The whole trip was a comedy of errors one after the other. Usually, street signs are randomly placed on building corners, but it would be hard to do otherwise. Most streets change names every block, so there would be four or five signs on every corner, and that would not help.

I do not think that day; I could have found another problem. It was a terrible day, but the beginning of an adventure that changed the way the world revolved in my head. Maybe “foreign” meant something else to me, or maybe “foreign” was not so scary, just so new.

No comments:

Post a Comment