Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Czech Pride

I like Eva, she is a great lady. Sometimes I want to have more time with her, but she moved to Japan. I wish her all of the luck in the world. One of the first times, I had met a Czech family I was with Eva, her mom and her grandparents. We had dinner at her mom’s house in Eva’s village. It seems no one lives in a city in Moravia. Maybe, it just seems that way, but it is tough to remember all the names of the tiny cross-road towns that speckle the Moravian countryside.

Eva was right when she had pointed it out that summer that her mom looked like the picture in the hotel. She even wore pretty traditional clothing. I almost laughed the first time I saw her mom. Often Czech women are unusually tall, even her grandmother was taller than I am. No, that is not saying much, but three generations between 5’9” and 6’1” (1.8m and 1.9m) is unusual. All of the women in her family were tall, slender and were all beautiful. I am not talking about pretty, but they could have all been supermodels each in their time.

I like proud people. Yes, people can be too proud. How do you respect someone who has no pride in themselves. They should stand up and say “I did this.” or “I think this because that is what I think.” “This is me. Take it or leave it!” In general, Czech people are hard to read, because culturally they are proud, but not demonstratively. Probably it is because they could never say they did a good job for themselves. For a thousand years, they did not rule themselves so even after an honest day’s work someone else took all of the credit for their work.

I still do not remember what the conversation was about, but it ended with Eva saying quite loudly that “Czech women are the best fuckers in the world!” No, neither her parent nor her grandparents understood, maybe in German or Czech they would have been taken aback. It was in English, so it was not rude. How do you respond to this? Obviously, the correct response is to get her a couple more drinks. If she feels that way now, in a little while we can talk her into putting her money where her mouth was.

Czechs are proud of their hockey team, even the most inebriated “lager lout” soccer fan would appreciate their intensity as fans. They are proud of the things they have accomplished, even though they complain incessantly. There is no questioning that Czech women are proud of their prowess between the sheets, and rightly so. Not many places that I have even heard of will women proudly state their pride in their nocturnal accomplishments.

Even if it was cheating a little bit, her grandmother did not understand what she said. What would I do, if her grandmother had stood up and agreed with her, would I have been obligated to do that too? I dodged a bullet on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment