Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Easter Presents

Czechs have a different understanding of money. Well almost everything is different here. There is an old adage, “it is the thought that counts.” Normally, a good present usually preempts many things in the future. Size or value of the present is immaterial, but the quality of the gift is important. To a homeless man, a warm place to sleep is the most important thing. I have never been homeless, and I am pretty lucky for that. In Czech, I need a family and someone to depend on more than anything else. The American tradition is to give treats on Easter, or at least to have sweets around the house. Czech Easter traditions are a bit difficult to elucidate, more than a rousing chase through the square, drunken whipping games and impossibly carved and painted eggshells.

I met Verča at the bus station on her way to Holland. She had been looking forward to this trip for months. I could not have been happier to see that she was finally going. She sent me a sms, asking me to meet her at the bus station when the bus stopped in Prague. As is customary with many things in Czech, the bus was late. You do kind of get used to it.

I had not seen her in a while, so I was excited to see her even for only a few minutes. Her sms said that she was on the new purple bus, good information to know watching the other three purple Škoda busses arrive. As usual, I did do not question her, her bus was a brand new purple Mercedes. The girl has style. The first thing I heard was “Ahoj, ahoj broučku!” I saw her waving from the group of people around the Mercedes. She hobbled over to me dressed in her black jeans and her big, gray, wool sweater. Those who know her, know that this is the real Veronika. I do not like it when she says she is “only a villager”. It feels disrespectful, she is so much cooler than the people who burned the Frankenstein castle down.

She was smiling, and wincing and smiling as she walked. Her knee was hurting again. I do agree with her, anything is better than a knee operation. I was touched as she put her arms around and leaned on me. When we are together she makes me feel that she really does depend on me. I kissed her nose. She loves this kind of kiss so much, and told her I had her Easter presents. Her passion for vodka and strawberries would be handy today. The vodka would hopefully erase the fact that she was going to sit on a bus for 15 hours. I know from experience that anything that can help erase 15 hours in a car is appreciated. I got chocolate from her mom, a homework assignment from Veronika and a rabbit filled with strawberry soap.

Rabbits are kind of special things between us. We both sleep with stuffed bunnies and rabbit-based gifts go back and forth. She was so soft when she provided for me. It is nice to know that I can relax when she is around. After we exchanged presents she asked me for a lekarna, a pharmacy. I do not know much about that part of town, but I do not think there is anything like that near the bus station. After the floods most of the businesses were not rebuilt in that part of town.

She was a little disappointed, but had she let me know more than 10s in advance I could have stopped and gotten whatever she needed. Instead, we bought some other supplies at Czech prices, which are one-third or half of their European counterparts. A crocodile sandwich, a bottle of coke, I am a bad influence, and two packs of blue L & M cigarettes, for Hanka. Gosh, Veronika is a bad liar.

As quickly as Veronika came, she was gone again, but not before I received many more Easter kisses. She is my favorite, even in small doses. I do not understand a lot of what goes through her head. More liquid soap, at least it would smell better than my bottle from Tesco. I appreciate the presents, they are very kind. I know she will have a great trip; Hanka might even smoke one of those cigarettes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment