Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Bookstore Girls are Easy

I was looking for a Czech cookbook and some presents when I walked into Novotný and Barovíč. N&B is a historical bookstore in downtown Brno. I know well that being on vacation for a month is grounds for presents. When the security guard at the door said something to me and I replied in English, “Thanks, but I do not understand.” The powers that be pushed Petra and I together.

I could not have walked a whole six feet (1.9m) from the
Špilberk-side door to the maps and travel bookshelf, a cute girl with black hair cut in a bob and a great smile walked over to me. She looked at me and said something in Czech, but I had no idea what she said. I probably tried to say something back to her, but then she said, “Do you have a wish?” 

That is the kind of statement that dreams are made of, for sure it was an exact translation of something. It was cute and I did appreciate her trying. I gave her the Miss Universe reply, “World Peace and my two front teeth. That would be nice.” However, my humor was lost in translation.

“How you want.” Somehow that felt a bit cold, I am sure she did not mean it. She was probably self-conscious because she did not understand my response. Feeling a bit bad, I looked over to her.

”Miss, I am looking for a traditional Czech cookbook to take back to America. That way we can try and make some of the things that I saw over here.”

“You like Czech food?”

“Sure why not? It is good home-style cooking, not too fancy and not just boiled.”

“You think so? What is your favorite?”

“Uh-oh”, I thought. Never lie when you have not had a chance to plan the conversation better. I went with the easy out, “I am not sure what it is called.”

“Really, I would help you find a book with a rezept for it, if you give me more information.”

“Something with some good pictures and the recipes would be great. I will forget how to say the name anyway.” She walked me over to the foreign language section, and we started thumbing through cookbooks. I have an unfortunate habit of not asking a cute girl’s name who seems more than casually interested.

I was just about to ask her, when I heard “Are you Christian?” Ok, that set me back on my heels a bit. Why does that matter, and why would she ask me that? “I just asked because the American people that I have met are all Christians and they come on pilgrimages.”

“Really? No, I am not Christian. Where do you go in the Czech Republic on Christian pilgrimages?”

”We have lots of old churches; even our money has a saint on it.” Ok, I admit it, I am intrigued.

“I am Adam; may I ask your name?”

“Oh. Hi. I am Petra. Why do you want to know my name?”

“Why did you want to know if I am Christian? Where I am from that is a bit of a personal question.”

“Is it a problem for you? I thought this was normal for USA people. Many times the Americans who I meet, usually tell me very fast that they are Christian. I thought it was important to American people.”

“How about this, can we discuss it all over lunch?”

“I do not know, I am very busy.” she replied.

“Ouch strike out.” I thought.

“Maybe I will have time after school. How will I find you?”

“Well I am staying over at Hotel Slavia, but I could call you from a pay phone or something.”

“Oh, you want me number?”

“Yeah, how else would I find you, since I have no phone? Just showing up at the hotel does not mean I will be there.”

“Ok, how about I go to the hotel after I go to fitness and we can do something tonight?”

“Great”

“So tonight, I will come to you and we will be have fun.”

“Sure. It will be great.” I know I was pretty thrilled with the whole thing. Honestly, I was more psyched about not having to eat another Crocodile today. Thanks to the other members of my Czech support team I did not starve in three weeks in Brno. Lucie had told me about Crocodile sandwiches. She certainly saved me on that one. Imagine how humble you have to be to ask someone for help with this. I did have a lot of trouble by myself down there. Brno has many shops and things, but they rarely speak any English and my German did not feel up to par with ordering things in dekagrams.

The rest was history. She took me to a music club with a great view of downtown Brno and Špilberk. There was a great deck on the sixth floor. In Czech-style we were drinking fruit juice and flicking bottle caps off into the square. It is a lot of fun with her just hanging out. Pity she is Christian. I think that it means something different in Brno, Czech than it does in Macon, Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment